One of the things Craig & I really want to do in our little family is have traditions. I have soooo many great memories of things we used to do when I was a kid, things that I think of as traditions. Some of those things we still do & some we have outgrown! There is something so secure & comforting about traditions...I can't quite explain it. We of course have started our own traditions as a family for holidays & different seasons of the year but we have also started some everyday traditions. Things that make the everyday a little bit more fun!
One of the things we have started to do once a month with the boys is movie night. I know it doesn't really sound like that big of a deal but let me tell you the boys get so excited about it!! They pick the movie & one special snack item. When it time for the movie they go & make the living room all "comfy cozy." This means that they haul every blankie, pillow & stuffed animal they love downstairs into the living room! It takes them a good 15 minutes to bring it all down & then another 15 minutes to get it all cozy the way they like it! While they are getting that organized under daddy's supervision, I get the snacks ready! Daddy has to supervise because the temptation to "ride" our favourite belongings down the stairs is just too great! :) We all get our pj's on & sit on the floor to watch the movie together. The movie night is usually filled with potty breaks, giggles, snuggles & one or two snack clean up breaks for Joshua who always rolls into his snack plate! It's fun to see them get so excited & think that this is the BEST thing in the world. I love how children are so amazed & excited for the simple things in life.
So, on Friday night we had our monthly movie night. The boys picked "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything, a Veggies Tales movie. Jonah picked Nerds candy for the snack & I filled the rest of the snack plate with natural popcorn, dried cranberries, raisins & organic bunny grahams. Milk was the beverage of choice & we had a very cozy spread of blankets, pillows & stuffies to sit on. The both watched the movie all the way through. We managed to escape with only one potty break, but we did have about 4 clean up breaks! It's funny, Joshua is still very little & getting him to sit still is a chore but on these nights he stays right there with us & he is just as excited as Jonah...he'll jump around & shout, "MOVE NIGHT!!!!!" in his sweet little voice. (And no, I didn't forget the I in movie, that's how he says it) The great thing about traditions like these is that when the boys are grown they'll remember them...I know I will.
5 comments:
I LOVE traditions as well!! If I did not have them it would be so sad indeed!! One thing that we do is the Friday after Thanksgiving we start Christmas movie/fun night each Friday till Christmas. It involves a Christmas movie and a fun treat..i.e...make your own sundaes...different types of caramel corn and so on. My mom used to do it when we lived in CO. I miss that part of it!! My kids wanted to make sure we kept it going! There are many other things...I agree with you...Traditions are AWESOME!! :)
So fun Carrie! Those neat traditions are what everyone remembers from being a kid. You and Craig are such great parents to start some fun ones with your little ones :)
What a great tradition Carrie! SO fun!
hmmm . inspiring
i think that's a great idea to start with our little pod of 3.
enjoyed the pictures too.
where do i find organic bunny grahams?
Love that idea!! That is such a great tradition to start!
Post a Comment